Monday, March 26, 2018

Let's talk Antagonists!

At Disneyland but
someone isn't impressed!
It's been over a year since I posted last and man, did I miss you guys. My four beautiful children have kept me busy, and with Amelia coming early, I just wanted to give her the time and attention she needed. So I took a little hiatus but I am back and ready to write.
I came across this quote on Pinterest, "Having a 2-year-old is like having a blender without a lid." This is true in so many aspects of my life.  My almost 2-year-old is an amazing, smart, perfect little girl but can also be incredibly stubborn and is starting to get into everything. I also have a manuscript that I haven't looked at for a year and a half. Having fresh eyes is wonderful but terrifying at the same time. My mind is also like the blender without a lid. Notes have taken over my desk and my characters, as well as my story, have evolved with me. When I came back to my female antagonist specifically, it's not clear what I want from her. She is a bad bitch right now, with no shred of humanity. But could she just be misunderstood and have a story of her own to tell? Could rejection and lost love have made her so bitter? Or is she just plain evil and wants to torture Faye for the fun of it? 

Let's talk about some bad guys  Girls! 

My fundamental position is that women are human beings, with the full range of saintly and demonic behaviors. They're not angels, incapable of wrongdoing.

-Margaret Atwood

Bellatrix Lestrange, Cersei Lannister, Harley Quinn, Regina George, Winnifred Sandersen, Katherina Petrova (Katherine Pierce), Corrinne Dollangager, and Nancy Botwin all have one thing in common they are BAD. But for the most part, the comparisons stop there. Each of these women has their own unique path to sin city.  Some born with evil coursing through their veins, others by necessity, and sometimes it looks so appealing they just couldn't resist the path to wicked.
You have to admit, evil can be seductive. Villainesshood comes with perks that could lure anyone to the dark side... No rules, money, power, affection and a sexy bad girl image. Sorry ladies, but good always prevails.

Cruel to the Core

Bellatrix Lestrange, Harry Potter Series: death eater/ murderer/ lover to He Who Shall Not Be Named, craved power and I think it's safe to say she was just born to be bad. DEAD
Cersei Lannister, A Song of Ice and Fire (book series), Game of Thrones (TV Series): murderous incestuous queen. Has love affairs with multiple family members. Fathered children with her twin brother. Ewwww! She is directly and indirectly responsible for the death of her husband and children. All except for one, but we can still blame her because she raised a little asshole. PUBLICLY SHAMED FOR CRIMES, ALONE
Corrinne Dollangager, Flowers in the Attic Trilogy (Book, Lifetime Movies): also incestuous. Marries her uncle, locks up her children and poisons them in order to get her hands on the inheritance. Like Cersei is somehow to blame for half of her children's deaths but then dies to save her daughter. Evil or Crazy? I don't know but she belongs in this category in my book. DEAD

Moderately Wicked

Katerina Petrova (Katherine Pierce), Vampire Diaries: rock and hard place girl. She was born a Petrova doppelganger and was going to be sacrificed by Klaus to break his werewolf curse. She became a vampire to save herself.  She tore the Salvatore brothers apart for decades, murdered (what vampire doesn't have a crazy killing spree?), and was just a downright bitch. Although, being bad looked pretty good on her. DEAD (died multiple deaths and burned in hellfire)
Harley Quinn, DC Universe: Psychiatrist turned psychopath. She was a victim of circumstance. Daddy issues automatically guaranteed she was going to fall in love with someone totally wrong for her but she took it next level because she spent all day with crazies. ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP WITH AN EVIL CLOWN MAN
Nancy Botwin, Weeds: Mild-mannered, suburban soccer mom sells weed to make ends meet after she became widowed but then turns into a full-fledged drug dealer/mafia queen. SHOT IN THE HEAD
Winifred Sandersen and her Sisters, Hocus Pocus: mid-evil (you see what I did there?) witches who gained youth by sucking the lives out of the little children of Salem. Pretty darn evil but you could also argue circumstance because by staying young they were escaping death, right? Maybe their witlessness or Sarah's song has me under a spell because they just don't seem all that scary to me. DEAD (twice)

Stings like a *Queen* Bee

Regina George, Mean Girls: high school mean girl extraordinaire. HIT BY A BUS 

Being bad isn't so good! It does have it's downfalls...like death!

Let me know in the comments, Do you like your bad girls to show some humanity at the end so they are relatable or would you rather her just keep on keeping on with her bad self?


"I would have done anything to protect him. My anger for her, my love for him and the longing for the life we were supposed to live all intersected somewhere in my heart. It created a passionate hatred for her, the type of rage that made you question what you are capable of."
-Faye, Questioning the Universe, (My Work in Progress) Even good girls have their bad days when pushed too far.

I hope your week is so Fetch!

No comments:

Post a Comment